COF Training Services Inc. is a not-for-profit social services organization founded in 1968 and serving people with intellectual/developmental disabilities including, but not limited to, those with intellectual/developmental disabilities, cerebral palsy, epilepsy, Down syndrome, and autism. COF is an acronym for the names of the three counties in which services are provided: Coffey, Osage, and Franklin.
At COF, individuals with intellectual/developmental disabilities (I/DD) have access to a variety of services and resources, providing the opportunity to increase independence, productivity, and integration into the community. COF provides the support necessary to promote a high quality of life, and create an environment in which the rights and responsibilities of those with intellectual/developmental disabilities are both respected and encouraged.
Currently, approximately 300 people who have intellectual/developmental disabilities receive servcices which include targeted case management for approximately 240 people; day program services for approximately 190 people; and residential services for approximately 140 people, all living in Coffey, Osage and Franklin Counties. Many people receive a combination of the services listed.
The mission of COF Training Services, Inc. is to develop, coordinate and implement services which support individuals with intellectual/developmental disabilities in achieving their chosen life style. COF is committed to helping individuals maximizie their level of independence and quality of life.
It is COF's vision that people with intellectual/developmental disabilities have services and supports of their choice which allow opportunities to increase independence, productivity, integration and inclusion into the community. COF staff, advocates, friends and volunteers provide services promoting life patterns in which the rights and responsibilities of citizens with intellectual/developmental disabilities are both respected and encouraged.
The persons receiving services, their staff, and the Board of Directors of COF Training Services, Inc. have created goals for those persons receiving services which include ensuring
- that all individuals exercise their full civil and human rights;
- that the people receiving services are allowed to participate in making informed choices for themselves;
- that they experience the satisfaction of personal growth and development through their lives;
- that the individuals participate in activities offered by their communities to the extent of their personal choices and capabilities;
- that they experience independence and self-sufficiency as is appropriate;
- that the persons receiving services are protected from abuse, neglect and personal or financial exploitation;
- that they experience the joy and fulfillment of relationships with friends, peers and neighbors; and
- that they have needed information presented to them in a clear, understandable manner using adaptive means necessary for communication and making informed choices.